You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘Livermore’ tag.
Fall and Winter are prime times to bake items that compliment our seasonal soups and stews. We’ve come across this old world style Drop Biscuit recipe and modified it a bit for the Big Green Egg.
We’ve got a small Big Green Egg that loves to hover at 400F with ease and decided to put it to use.
Tools: Big Green Egg or other BBQ cooker that can maintain constant 400F indirect temperatures. Lodge cast iron biscuit pan.
Cooker Temp: 400F, indirect heat.
Baking Directions: After making the dough, cut small 1/8″ thick pads of butter and set one pad into each void on the baking pan. Put equal parts of dough into each void on top of the butter. Be as consistent as possible and use up all of the dough – because it doesn’t keep well. Set the now filled iron pan into the preheated cooker and close the lid. Check the biscuits after 15 minutes and then again at 20 minutes. You will begin to see the biscuits brown slightly where they contact the cast iron. When they are sufficiently brown, pull them out and rest them. The biscuits should be somewhat crumbly and soft, but when given a slight turn in the baking pan, spin easily. (cooking times may vary with each grill – keep checking on them)
Lodge Logic Cast Iron Drop Biscuit Pan
2 cups unbleached all-purpose four
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
¾ teaspoon table salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk, chilled
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled (and additional butter for the pan)
Victorine Valley Farms Butter Flavored Olive Oil (for drizzling)
Option: Feel free to add herbs of your choice to the biscuits as well.
- Wisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
- Mix the buttermilk and melted butter (8 tablespoons) together in a separate bowl.
- Combine the buttermilk mixture with the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until incorporated and batter pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
Thanks to Victorine Valley Farms for providing the wonderful local Olive Oils for our recipes. Products can be ordered on their website here…www.victorinevalley.com
Green Leaf BBQ is officially open for business in Livermore California. Our new shop is part of Livermore’s historic “Blacksmith Square”. The Brick building offers a great courtyard for our BBQ classes and events. Our neighbors offer local botique wine tasting, olive oil tasting and a tapas style restaurant for anybody visiting the Square. The weather here is great for a backyard BBQ – offering true wine country climate with warm days and cool evenings.
Our shop is open Thursday, Friday and Saturdays from 10:30 am to 7:00 pm.
As always we feature and specialize in The Big Green Egg line of BBQ Smokers. We also carry Green Mountain Grills, Traeger Grills, Weber Grills, and other products from Lodge, OXO, Victorinox/Foschner, Wicked Good and many custom BBQ Spices, Rubs and Sauces from the professional competition circuit that simply are not available in other stores.
Check back for our BBQ Class and event schedule.
Consider this a hearty welcome to our shop – oh, and we’re pet friendly too
Come in for a visit!
Green Leaf BBQ Shop
21 South Livermore Ave.
Livermore CA 94550
Many have heard about our BBQ Competition on November 14, 2009. We are still taking enrollment for the contest at www.greenleafbbq.com for any interested individual or team.
This contest is open to all with no fuel restrictions – bring your best skills and grills to win a trophy and some cash.
Competitors will be using Traeger Grills, Big Green Eggs, Drum Smokers, Gas Grills, and perhaps even a few Weber kettle or WSM smoking all day.
If you’re interested in learning to BBQ or smoke meats, this is the place to visit and ask questions.
Our BBQ shop will be open during the competition, offering special deals on Big Green Egg, Traeger & Weber products in addition to our great line-up of BBQ rubs and sauces. Check out our website to shop early in our online store.
Here are the details:
*No Fuel Restrictions – Charcoal, Gas, Pellet, Electric or Wood Allowed.
Thanks to all teams that have already committed to joining us!
I know – this is a shameless plug for our BBQ shop. But, sometimes the information being delivered demands some attention – even if it is from within!
Our BBQ Shop is located at: 21 South Livermore Ave. Livermore, CA in the Historic Blacksmith Square. We regularly have Big Green Eggs on sale and offer prices significantly under retail. Please visit our website for more information at: www.greenleafbbq.com – We can drop ship special orders as well!
Here are 10 of the best reasons ever to invest in a Big Green Egg…
1. They can hover at the magic 250 degree mark for almost 24 hours with a good lump charcoal fire – making the “Low & Slow” style a reality.
2. They are supremely efficient users of fuel – Good charcoal is expensive and getting more so.
3. They can really do a great job as a grill – those temps can easily get to 500 – 700 degrees and stay there for over an hour – if you have a “steak night” for 15 folks, this will come in handy.
4. They look cool.
5. They make you cooler!
6. They will last forever & include a limited LIFETIME warranty – Parts are commonly available and easily replaceable.
7. The array of ceramic accessories will allow perfect indirect heating & a wonderful brick over flavored pizza on a Big Green Egg Pizza Stone.
8. There is nothing that cannot be cooked to perfection with a little practice of fire management & technique – a VERY forgiving BBQ.
9. Air flow is managed at both ends and the adjustments actually work, unlike junk grills that have air flow vents more for cosmetic reasons.
10. Cooking technique that is learned in a kitchen can easily be applied to this charcoal fired porcelain oven – learn fire technique & the world will be your oyster.
I don’t really need to go on any more – “Backyard Nirvana” is possible and now within reach.
Seriously, these are wonderful BBQ units that will be enjoyed for years…a true investment. Consider renting one from us for $50 a day – we’ll take the rental expense off of your bill should you decide to buy.